Tuesday 22 March 2011

Untitled

My Granddad has dementia, this is the first time I have even admitted this, I have heard people say it around me but I can not accept it, my grandfather the most intelligent man I know, now doesn’t know the name of the heater.

Dementia may be caused by a number of illnesses that affect the brain. Dementia typically leads to memory loss, inability to do everyday things, difficulty in communication, confusion, frustration, as well as personality and behaviour changes. People with dementia may also develop behavioural and psychological symptoms such as depression, aggression and wandering.

It is sad to see someone dying slowly in front of you, especially sad when they look so healthy in the face and body, and nothing is wrong with them, it seems on appearance, but on further examination, you realise his spirit is not the same, this is not my granddad he is only half here, where is the rest? 
I’ve been asking myself over and over ‘Do I feel sorry for my Granddad?’ and I think about alot of things,
Yes my granddad has had a happy life, and he has accomplished so much, I am proud of him, but has he done everything?

Symptoms of dementia 

  • Memory loss, particularly of recent events. 
  • Problems finding the right words.
  • Disorientated.
  • Poor judgement.
  • Withdrawn, prone to fits of temper, or feel anxious and depressed.
  • Trouble thinking clearly and doing easy practical tasks.
     

 I am happy my granddad is still with us, but it pains me in my heart to know that someone so mind strong, full of intelligent opinions and worldly knowledge, does not know my name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment